Thursday, January 29, 2015

What to Wear to Practicum (Plus Size Teacher Options)

     So I realized after looking over my blog so far, that I have forgotten something that is kind of important. Clothes!!
     I always have the most fun when I am shopping for clothing for practicum, because I was always told to dress for the job that you want, not the job you're working or applying for. So when I am shopping for practicum clothes, in all honesty I am shopping for my teacher clothes.

     I'm going to let you know first that I dress better than some of the teachers that I have seen. I have always imagined the type of teacher that I would be, the type of clothing that I would wear, the way that I would run my class. I think that as future teachers, we all have.

     I have a love of shopping, so that in turn translates to a love of clothes (Of course). When I imagined how I would dress when I was teaching, I imagined business casual, I imagined heels (yes daily, I cannot reach the top of the board without them), I imagined statement necklaces. Then I went looking, and I found tops, and pants, and dresses (oh how I love dresses). I'm going to post some pictures of my outfits, as well as some other things that I purchased when I was looking for the clothes.

This dress is my favorite, It is a maroon color and it has a crochet overlay on it. I wear it with a black belt that came with it, and now that it's winter, I wear black tights under and some black heels.  I find that this dress is the most flattering on my shape because I am a fairly curvy girl, but it is not low cut at all, and it is a modest length, it goes to just at my knee. When I was looking for clothes I wanted to find things that would be comfortable while still dressy and modest. 




This top is for my more casual days, because as you are doing your practicum, you will find out that different schools expect different things from you. I am currently going to two different schools and one school has a much stricter dress code than the other. Neither of the schools require full business attire, you can wear jeans most days, but I have chosen not to wear jeans to the stricter school. This shirt is extremely comfortable, but I do have to wear an undershirt with it because it is slightly sheer.

This is probably my favorite shirt/sweater. It is a sweatshirt material, but it is short sleeved and has an embellished neckline that has rhinestones and pearls. I think that it is just adorable, and I always wear my hair up with this one just so you can see the entire neckline. I can wear it with both jeans and dress pants so I don't have to worry about having the right pants. My only complaint, which is minor, is that the sleeves aren't hemmed, they are just folded and sewn once, and It gets annoying because as you wear it and wash it, the folds roll and they're no longer uniform, but people don't really notice, it's more of a personal annoyance.

This collage is from my first day at the school I am currently doing my observations at that has the more strict dress code. I wore this under my mid-length coat because it is pretty cold at 620 in the morning. I like the print because it adds a little bit of my personality to the outfit, without it being plain black. 

This top is another one of my favorites and I typically wear it with a belt, but these pants are extremely fitted, so I decided to leave it loose, I got it at Dress Barn and it is a thick material without making me hot while wearing it. 

Now on to the fun stuff:

My bag. I love this bag, it makes me happy. I looked for a long time till I found the right bag to use. It is a genuine leather messenger bag. (way too expensive) It is extremely soft, and it holds a lot more than it looks like it does. My computer fits in the front compartment, which leaves the main compartment completely free for my binder, notes, planner, and whatever else I might need. It also has smaller pockets in the inside that hold my wallet, my phone, and my lipstick. The reason I was willing to spend so much money on a bag like this is so that it will last, I am planning to use this when I start teaching as well, and it just makes me happy every time I look at it. 


Make-up:


I like to keep my make-up fairly simple, I don't think that a teacher needs to be overdone, so I do my typical natural face makeup, and then the following lipstick. This lipstick is Fig by Bite Beauty, it is the perfect natural shade, and this lip liner by NYX matches it almost perfectly.

Finally my hair:
I have been curling my hair almost every day because I left my flat iron in California the last time that I went home. But I have my hair highlighted and low-lighted, and while it is high-maintenance, I think that it is worth it. 


I hope that this was helpful for you guys, I really enjoyed creating this post. 

Marisa


P.S. If you want to see more practicum outfits follow me on Instagram. I post pictures daily. @marisa1256

No comments:

Post a Comment